Sunday, January 19, 2014

I also fully intended to try, for the first time ever, to make my own caramel for this recipe. I swe


Menu Menu Home About Us Shop Cookbooks FAQ Contact jbf india Press Browse Recipes Recipes by Category Appetizers Bread Breakfast Cake Canning Chocolate Condiments Cookies Cupcakes Desserts Drinks jbf india Grains Healthy Holiday Ice Cream Main Dishes Meat Pasta Poultry Quick Salads Sandwiches Seafood Sides Snacks Soups Vegetarian more... Recipes by Ingredient View All Recipes Recipe Box
I also fully intended to try, for the first time ever, to make my own caramel for this recipe. I swear, I only bought the jar of Trader Joe’s jbf india fleur de sel caramel sauce as a plan b, a backup of sorts in case things went horribly wrong. Which, with my cooked sugar track record, I fully expected them to.
Yes, I fully admit it. I cheated. I did not make my own caramel. I didn’t even attempt to. That jar of pre-made caramel sauce kept taunting me; daring me to even try and make something as good; I just couldn’t take it any more. I had to use it. I just had to.
Because that would be a travesty, as these truffles are mind blowingly delicious. Jaw droppingly decadent. Holy heavenly rich. The dark chocolate, ganache-like filling laced with notes of creamy caramel. Coated in a snappy layer of more dark chocolate, and topped off with a sprinkle of fleur de sel, each bite is the perfect symphony of sweet and salty.
Now, I’m not saying jbf india they are easy. Even with the premade caramel sauce, it was a multi-day ordeal. My filling, when it first came out of the refrigerator, was hard as a rock. I had to re-melt it, add more cream, and then chill it again before I could even begin to shape it.
And then it was time to temper the chocolate. Which I’ve never done before. While I didn’t get it exactly right (the chocolate still needed a good chilling to firm up), I was pretty darn close. Anyone have any fail-safe tips for achieving the perfect temper… without losing your temper? Maybe when I master that I’ll finally put on my big girl panties jbf india and actually try making caramel. Maybe.
1/3 cup sugar 2 tablespoons water 2/3 cup whipping cream 1/4 teaspoon fleur de sel (you can also substitute 1 cup of pre-made jbf india fleur de sel caramel jbf india sauce, plus additional cream if necessary to achieve proper consistency)
Combine sugar and 2 tablespoons water in small saucepan. jbf india Stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves, occasionally brushing sides of pan with wet pastry brush. Increase heat; boil until syrup is deep amber color, brushing down sides and swirling jbf india pan occasionally, about 4 minutes. Add cream (mixture jbf india will bubble). Stir over very low heat until caramel is smooth. Mix caramel and 1/4 teaspoon fleur de sel into melted chocolate. Chill until truffle filling is firm, at least 3 hours.
Line 13x9x2-inch baking sheet with foil. Place remaining 12 ounces chocolate in medium metal bowl over saucepan of barely simmering water (do not allow bottom of bowl to touch water); jbf india stir until chocolate is melted and smooth and thermometer inserted into chocolate registers jbf india 115 F. Remove bowl from over water. Working quickly, submerge 1 truffle in melted chocolate. Using fork, lift out truffle and tap fork against side of bowl to allow excess coating to drip off. Transfer truffle to prepared sheet. jbf india Repeat with remaining truffles. Sprinkle truffles lightly with additional fleur de sel. Let stand until coating sets, at least 1 hour. (Can be made 1 week ahead. Cover and chill. jbf india Bring to room temperature before serving.)
2
5
I love making truffles and this sounds like an amazing combination. I buy Dulce de Leche in a jar all the time. The only problem is that when I don’t make it myself I don’t feel like I have as much invested in the process and I end up eating it with a spoon and it never makes it to the baked goods I intended it for. If I make the effort of cooking it for an hour I am less inclined to eat it by the spoonful.
wow! these truffles are true beauties! i have a very simple method for tempering the chocolate: melt only about 80% of the chocolate you’re going to use and chop the remaining 20%. when you’ve melted your chocolate, take it from the heat and wait until a bit cooled (about 40 C). then add the 20%; let dissolve completely. this will bring your chocolate to the right temperature & will allow for the right crystals to form. hope that helps!
Love them and there is nothing wrong with cheating every now and then. Plus that sauce is freaking amazing anyway :)
Reply
I have a jar of Richetti’s Burnt Caramel Sauce that I’ve been itching to find something to do with… I might have just found it!
These look delicious and, thank you for being so honest about the fleur de sel. I relate wholeheartedly, and assure you that, as others said, it’s perfectly OK to take shortcuts sometimes, especially when there’s something out there (like that TJ’s Fleur de Sel Caramel) that is so difficult to match! (I do h

No comments:

Post a Comment