Thursday, March 6, 2014

Looks like I have a weekend canning project now! I also home can my beans jsut because you can


It wasn’t until I saw a recipe for glorified nachos on a real food blog recommending Whole Foods generic organic brand of chili that my attitude towards this convenience food changed. I soon began stocking up on it to have on hand for those moments when I needed something fast.
But it was expensive, and there came a time when we had so many of “those moments”, that stocking it really started beverage technology to strain the budget. Then we began canning, and I decided to start putting up my own.
While canned is still processed, and not quite as tasty as fresh; when canned in my own kitchen I know exactly what goes into it. When we’ve been on the go, working in the garden, or I simply don’t have a meal planned, I can pop open a jar of chili and have a meal on the table in just a matter of minutes. This is also great for lunches when we don’t beverage technology have leftovers on hand or bread made for sandwiches.
Plan ahead: unless you are going to use canned beans, beverage technology you will need to soak your beans enough in advance so that they will be ready when you are ready to cook. I soak mine overnight and cook them the following morning. However, Jackie Clay recommends lightly cooking the beans the day of by covering with water, bringing to a boil, boiling for five minutes and then allowing them to stand, covered for at least 2 hours.
1 . Start with a clean kitchen. Canning is fun and rewarding but it is an all day thing. It also involves numerous steps that cannot be overlooked, it can get hot and heavy. A clean, uncluttered kitchen will help make things go much more smoothly and eliminate unnecessary confusion.
2. Read through all instructions before beverage technology getting started. All of your instructions, your recipe, your canning guide (you do have one don t you? Don t can without one. The internet/blogs are not considered a canning guide), beverage technology your canner instructions. Keep them out in a place where they can be easily referred back to.
2T beverage technology of bacon grease or oil
Heat the grease in a large stock pot. Add the onions and garlic and cook until tender. Add the chili powder, paprika, cumin, and oregano and stir until the spices are well combined. Add the ground beef and 1t of the salt. Cook, stirring frequently until cooked through. 8-10 minutes. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally. for 1 hour*. Adjust the seasonings with more salt or chipotle chilis if necessary.
Serving suggestion: top with any one or all of the following: grated sharp white cheddar cheese, chopped white or green onions, sour cream, crumbled blue corn chips, chopped jalepeno beverage technology chilis. Resources: beverage technology
  If something you read today was helpful to you please consider leaving a comment and following along ~ we d love to have you! Just visit the sidebar and subscribe to updates via email. All considerate comments are welcomed, appreciated, read, and enjoyed. I will do my best to respond although it may take me a little bit. I m often up to my ears in laundry, cleaning, baking, gardening, or canning, but I d love to chat!
Find this post and others like it linked to: Eat Make Grow , Simple Lives Thursday, Farm Girl Blog Fest, Farm Girl Friday Blog Hop, The Homestead Barn Hop, Homemade beverage technology Mondays, The Backyard Farming Connection , Wildcrafting Wednesday, The Homeacre Hop , Frugal Days Sustainable Ways, Ole Saturday Homesteading Post
hopefarms on February 7, 2013 at 10:10 am said:
Thank you! It was hard for me to let go of the red. Our barn is red and white, I wanted our blog to be red and white too. Then one day it didn’t load properly and I saw the format in a lighter color. Figured beverage technology it would be best to change. The red border is a compromise. Still have a few glitches here and there that need attending to…
My husband got me this one last summer and I use it frequently. He’d like me to be canning once a week but since it is such a project that is really hard sometimes. I’m glad you like the new format. I loved the red, but figured this was a compromise.
Looks like I have a weekend canning project now! I also home can my beans jsut because you can’t find them in the store with NO SALT! I suppose it would be ok to omit the beans from this recipe? Then I could add some of my home canned beans at the same time I open a jar of chili to heat up.
I really need to can up some beans for convenience. We buy them in bulk but I don’t always remember to soak them overnight. Yes, you could just delete the beans and add them when you heat up the chili. Just know that it probably won’t make a full 7 quarts. Good luck with it!
I have my chili in the canner now! After omitting the beans and adding an extra pound of ground beef, I ended up with almost 5 quarts. I was only about a cup shy of having the 5th quart full, so guess what I’m having for lunch?
I plan to can up beans as I NEVER remember to pre

No comments:

Post a Comment